Available place applications for 2023 are now closed
- People who have applied for a course through the CAO already (whether placed or not). No further payment is required
- People who have NOT already applied to the CAO but they must pay a €45.00 application fee
Note: : Before making an “Available Place” application, we would advise that you refer to the “Restrictions” page of the CAO handbook. If you feel you fit any of these categories, please contact either the Waterford Admissions Office at [email protected] or 051 302603 or the Carlow/Wexford Admissions team on [email protected].
- Applicants for ‘Available Places’ must meet the normal minimum entry requirements for the course(s). Please check the "Entry" tab on each course page.
- If you are interested in studying on one of the 'Available Places' courses, we would encourage you to apply regardless of your points. Previously published points in an earlier round of offers should not be taken as an indication of the points required for entry to Available Places.
Applications open: 12 noon on Thursday, 31 August 2023 - do this through the CAO website.
Application deadline: Thursday, 14 September at 11am
Application process: Apply by Thursday, 14 September
- Ensure you fully complete your application by 11.00am on Thursday, 14 September. We strongly suggest you start this process well in advance of the deadline.
- You can view and accept your offer on www.cao.ie on Tuesday, 19 September at 10.00am.
- You must accept your offer through the CAO by Thursday, 21 September at 3.00pm.
- Should you receive an offer, SETU’s Admissions Office will contact you on Friday, 22 September with your next steps, Start SETU registration details and your SETU username and password.
You apply for an 'Available Place' course through cao.ie
- Log in to your application using 'My Application' and click on 'Add Level 8 Available Place Course' or 'Add Level 7/6 Available Place Course' as appropriate and follow instructions.
- If you have already applied to CAO this year, then an Available Places application is not separate to your existing application, you are inserting courses into your existing list of course choices.
- The Available Places application procedure is similar to the Change of Mind procedure. However, except for courses in which available places have been advertised, you may not re-order your original course choices.
- Available Place course codes may only be inserted higher in your list of preferences than any offer which you have received to date.
- If you still wish to be considered for a course already on your course list, you must insert all available place courses below those you wish to retain.
- You may only have a total of 10 course choices in any course list (Level 8 and Level 7/6). If you wish to add an available place course to a list already containing 10 entries, the course code at the bottom of the list (i.e., preference 10) will be deleted.
- Mature applicants and applicants who have qualifications other than 1985-2016 Irish Leaving Cert and/or 2002-2016 QQI FET/FETAC Level 5/6 are categorised as Non-Standard Applicants. Such applicants must contact the Waterford Admissions Office at [email protected] and the Carlow/Wexford at [email protected].
Remember to follow the fundamental rule of the CAO application system, i.e. place your course choices in genuine order of preference. If you place an Available Place course as your first preference and you get an offer on this course, then you will not be offered any course lower in your order of preference.
Accepting an Available Place Offer
Acceptance of an offer of an Available Place automatically cancels and supersedes any previous offer(s) and acceptance(s).